Monday 17 June 2013

Hello!

So I thought I'd tell you a bit about myself. Seems prudent to give you information about the Man behind the blog! 
I've spent almost half my life (i'm currently 19!) living in foster care. In January 2004 at the age often years and one month, I was taken into foster care for what was meant to be  3-4 months (ended up remaining in care for eight years till 18!) and I was fortunate enough to remain in one placement throughout. I was, and still am, under  Birmingham Local Authority Care (for the lay person, that is what they call Social Services here in Birmingham). You may probably be wondering why (it's human nature - we all love to hear about dysfunction and despair and tragedy!) but I won't divulge this yet...And I may never do! Although I assure you my experiences were not quite at those levels...most of the time. I'm 'mixed race' being half Irish and half Indian (Punjabi) however I prefer not to be classified - there really is only one race, human. And anyway, with our increasingly multicultural society, racial classification will be pointless.

 I'm a student, and have just finished taking my A-level exams (again - didn't do very well last year!) With the hope of going to University in September to study Law. I love a good argument, yes I absolutely cherish having a good row as those of you who know me should know (and have probably been in the receiving end of my rantings) and the Legal field seems an apt professional platform to do so. Please feel free to start a debate with me, I have been known to spend 10 hours arguing with multiple people on Facebook!

I love music, all types. I couldn't give you a favourite genre as I don't have one. However I can say that my iPhone track list is probably 90% pre millennium music (the decades of real music!) I also love reading - mainly teenage fiction - still haven't grown out of it yet although perhaps I should, but i'm NineTEEN so I guess i'm excused for the next 6 months...And then I guess i'll have to, for my own ego's sake, pick up a copy of the miserable Great Expectations or the woeful Wuthering Heights and actually read them properly. I  love Chinese food - Gotta have a Chinese on a Friday! I enjoy cooking Indian food - my Chicken Curry is to die for - but may result in certain too-much-spice associated digestive problems (think you get the drift!) I also enjoy going to the gym, nothing like pumping some heavy weights!

I'm an avid fan of complicated, psychological TV shows and Movies - with (TV) stuff like Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards (US), Hannibal, Luther and Whitechapel. But I'm a sucker for the dumb stuff like Supernatural and True Blood too!

I'm passionate about Children's rights and advocacy, and work in my spare time to improve the service the Birmingham Local Authority provide, and try to address issues that my fellow foster children/care leavers face. These things will be my primary focus on this blog - and i'm an amateur, so bear with me :)

You can find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/michael.kumar2

No comments:

Post a Comment